FIFA's sudden decision to lift Folarine Balogun's suspension forced the United States national team to quickly adjust its plans. Many players said they initially thought it was fake news because it looked like AI, while the Belgian Football Association expressed their displeasure and are considering legal options.
SEATTLE — It was Sunday morning as the U.S. players Take the bus to the practice field. Preparing for the World Cup Round of 16 game against Belgium. Social media began to signal that shocking news had arrived: Folarine Balogun, the team's top scorer. which was banned was allowed to play. Chris Richards said that "a lot of people thought it was AI first" because they weren't sure if the news was true or not.
The truth came to light when FIFA's Disciplinary Committee announced the revocation of the automatic one-match ban for a red card in the game against Bosnia and Herzegovina. The status was changed to one year's probation. Repeated acts of a similar nature and seriousness will result in a ban. FIFA did not provide further details.
The clearance is the second known case of FIFA lifting a red card ban at a World Cup. The previous occasion was when Garincha was cleared to play in the 1962 final after being kicked out of the semi-finals.
Sources said the United States Soccer Federation is in the process of coordinating with its disciplinary committee. And in an official statement, the USSF said: "We accept the decision of the disciplinary committee and are pleased that Folarine Balogun will be eligible to compete tomorrow."
Folarine Balogun went from a banned spectator to a ready-to-play striker in the tournament's most surprising turn of events. The Belgian Football Association issued a statement saying it was "stunned" by FIFA's decision and argued that the move was against the disciplinary code and World Cup rules, which states that players who are sent off will receive an automatic one-match ban. The Belgian association also stated that "Considering all options" to protect principles of competitive fairness
Balogun has not commented to the media. While Coach Mauricio Pochettino is expected to clarify this matter at a scheduled press conference at Lumen Stadium. Field on Sunday afternoon

Christian Pulisic said about this: “There are more serious incidents that have occurred in this tournament. It feels right,” adding, “Our team is ready to play without him. There are players who can step up.' He also spoke about the video referee system, saying he doesn't want to criticize VAR as a whole because it does many good things but at times puts the team at a disadvantage.
Balogun's clearing this time is similar to that of Cristiano Ronaldo, who had his penalty reduced from three games to one for a red card from a qualifying round last year. and was placed on probation for 1 year as well.
Balogun's red card incident came in the 64th minute of a 2-0 victory at Santa Clara after a clash with an opponent for the ball. His right foot landed on Tariq Muharemovic's right ankle. The referee initially gave no yellow or red card. But after the video assistant referee recommended a review Referee Raphael Class then points out the red card. Klaas was criticized for using only slow motion to make decisions.
Chris Richards said “When you go back slowly, it can seem worse. For me, it was a bit too strong. But I might be a little biased.” Balogun commented the next day that he thought "A yellow card would be a fair decision," and he also showed kindness by shaking hands with the referee after the game.
Previously, the US team Prepare a plan to play without Balogun, likely using Ricardo Pepi as the main striker. Of course, Belgium adjusted their plans to deal with a team lacking the three-goal scorer, but Balogun continued training as usual in preparation for a possible quarter-final meeting with Spain or Portugal in Inglewood.
FIFA's announcement came just 31 hours before kick-off, Pulisic reiterated that “The team would be ready even without him. We have players who will step up. There's no doubt about it." Alex Freeman summed up the team's feelings. "Whether this is right or wrong, We are glad he is with us now.”
Whether Balogun will go down or not United States national team Still have to prepare fully for the tough mission with Belgium. Freeman said simply, "It's time to get to work."
---
## Related Articles
1. [Mundial 2026](https://quinasgoal.com/noticias/bespredel-genich-reage-a-suspensao-da-fifa-que-permite-a-balogun-participar-no-mundial)
2. [Mundial 2026](https://quinasgoal.com/noticias/apos-o-cartao-vermelho-de-folarin-balogun-ricardo-pepi-tem-uma-oportunidade-unica)